So I'm going to let you in on a little secret ladies, there is NO way to repair a split end! I don't care what the supermarket conditioner commercial promised you...
I like to think of a hair strand as a damaged frayed ribbon. . .
At this point, the only option you have is to cut off what is damaged. Yes, I am hinting that you will have to cut your dead ends off. There is no magical product that will mend those split ends back together. Your best option is to get a healthy haircut and prevent future damage. Just as you would then protect the ribbon from fraying again.
I am sorry I had to break it to you ladies, but those are just the cold hard facts! So here are a bunch of my favorite products to prevent damage and help you get back on track!
(in no particular order - click on the picture to see where the product comes from!)
1. Biotin Plus Keratin Vitamin (target brand) - you can take up to 10,000 mcg a day. This will help your hair growth from the inside out, giving your hair the proper vitamins and proteins it needs to grow.
2. It's a 10 Miracle Leave in Plus Keritan - another product containing Keratin (the protein in your hair). Spray this in your damp hair from the shower before you blow-dry or simply let it air dry in your hair. This product is amazing for preventing daily damage, helps the hair become stronger, and also works as a detangler!
3. Moroccanoil Treatment - similar to the effects of the It's a 10 product, this treatment contains an argon oil. With this product, you would place a small dime amount in your palm, work the product in damp hair, starting from ends to roots. This product should also be used before any styling, fresh from the shower. You can blow-dry and style after or let air dry. Is also great for detangling and smells AMAZING!
4. Moroccanoil Restorative Hair Mask - I love all of their deep conditioners. After finishing your shampoo, towel dry hair (gently!), and apply. These products go along way, so there is no need to waste your money by using too much product. Leave the deep conditioner on for at least 20 minutes or longer and rinse!
5. Joico K-PAK - this entire line is created for damaged hair. I use the shampoo and conditioner everyday. In most cases you can buy the set together containing the shampoo, conditioner, and hair mask. They are all packed with vitamins and all sorts of enriched ingredients to feed your hair. The mask should be done at least once a week, and it only takes 5 minutes!
6. Coconut Oil - The oh so popular Coconut Oil, as it should be. Yes, it works. It has so many great uses. Coconut Oil can be used as a deep conditioner to hydrate the hair. Simply take some out of the jar, rub it in your hands to get a "liquidy" texture, and apply to damp hair! Leave on for at least 20 minutes and WASH out. It will leave your hair very oily if you only rinse.